Thursday

Priorities, Obsessions, and "that" smell.




I have had varying degrees of success evaluating priorities over the years. I was a very successful child, a so-so successful adolescent, and horrible as a teenager and young adult. Now, as a "not so young" young adult (29 is way better than 21, if you were wondering ;) I have found a balance, at least for now.

Currently my priorities include God and growing in His wisdom and grace, raising a happy healthy God centered child, being the wife my husband deserves, and making time to research homeschool curricula, become conversational in ASL, and complete an Early Childhood Education degree. Oh yeah, I also try to clean the house once in a while. Things slip. I slip. I get cranky and forget to take care of me during all my other care taking.  I'm working on becoming a more active part of my priority list so I'm taking a moment this morning for something personal before I begin. For me, this blog is therapy. I used to go buy new shoes, but mommies don't generally need 46 pair of 3.5 inch (plus some) high heels. I keep the 8 pair I already own (and hardly ever wear, I'm more of a 3" or under gal now) and write. I am a better Christian, mommy and wife when I spend a little time doing things that make me happy just for the sake of being happy and fulfilled.

Which leads me to obsessions which is probably a little too strong of a word but, in hindsight, I have been a little overzealous in some pursuits. Gone with the Wind, for example. I have a TON of GWTW stuff which is all in storage now. Faries, don't even go there. I've got figurines, music boxes, and lots of collector dolls. Knick knacks? Ariel doesn't have a thing on me. So I'm cleaning out. Decluttering. And making room for the one "obsession" I hope to pass on to Teddy.

I am a bibliophile. I LOVE books. If I were to guess (low) I'd say there are over 500 books currently in my house, and no they are not loaners from the library. I collect (not obsessively, I don't have that kind of income) antique childrens books mainly from the 1890's through 1910's with exquisite color plate illustrations. The rest are for reading as I am also a bookworm. I have only met a few books I didn't like. Anything by Melville you are welcome to keep to yourself.

Which brings me to "that smell". When I walk into a room that smells of paper, young and old, leather, cardboard, glue and a little dust, I feel right at home. There is an elegance and agelessness that can only be found inside the pages of a hardback leather bound book. You can travel the world from your favorite cozy chair with a steaming cup of hot tea and have a grand adventure without getting a speck of mud on your pajamas. You also get a sense of history. I have a children's Bible with an inscription from December 25, 1886. How many wonderful adventures did that story Bible go through with generations of children before I found it in a pile of books covered in dust in a local antique shop? No matter how popular electronic books become, I will always keep my dust collecting, smelly old books!

What is your favorite indulgence?

Pin It!