Tis the season! For allergies, colds, sniffles, sneezes and just about every other unpleasant bodily function you can think of. Flu pops up this time of year, too. What's a super busy well socialized (I had to ;) family with a slightly tired and rundown mommy to do? This family adds elderberry syrup to our daily vitamin intake.
Elderberries have been used for generations as an immunity booster and remedy for colds and flu. You can read more about it here: http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-elderberry.html
So here is how I make our Elderberry Syrup. I use one ounce of dried elderberries (I get them at The Herb Shop on 34 for my local friends), 2 cinnamon sticks (it has immune and flavor boosting benefits), and crystalized ginger for it's nausea reducing effects and flavor.
I put it all into a mason jar and add boiling water to the top of the cinnamon sticks, place the lid on loosely and let it steep for 20 minutes.
Next, I use cheesecloth (when I have it, a mesh strainer works well when I don't) and strain out all the juice into a small pot. I give the cheesecloth a good squeeze to make sure all the good juice from the berries gets out.
And then I make a decoction. I mark a toothpick with a ballpoint pen at the level the liquid is when I pour it into the pot. Then I make a mark halfway between the bottom of the tootpick and the first mark. I turn the burner on low and let it slowly reduce. It takes about 45 minutes to reduce by half. I do it at a lower temperature so I don't kill all the good stuff.
When it's finished reducing, I add 1-2 tablespoons of local raw honey while it is still hot. Then I put it in a jar and put it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. We take a teaspoon a day as an immunity booster and if Mr. T starts to get sick, I up him to 2 teaspoons a day. If I start to get sick, I up mine to 4. So far it has really helped us not to get too sick (except for this last week when I forgot to take it most days).
* I am not a doctor, naturopath, herbologist or other medical person. Please check with your doctor before using or taking any herbal remedies.*
