Thursday

Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Convention Experience from a First Timer


Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Convention


I was so blessed to attend Teach Them Diligently in Nashville! And I am planning, Lord willing, to return next year! I have never gone to a homeschool convention before, and while it was amazing, it was a little overwhelming. There were so many amazing speakers it was difficult to pick out which workshops to attend, and I decided beforehand that I would be purchasing some of the ones I could not attend on MP3 downloads from Resounding Voice (you can purchase the downloads even if you didn't get to attend the conference!). I highly recommend going over the schedule when it comes out, and again the week of the conference you are attending, and there was one point where I just felt led to go to one I had not planned on attending at all and it was such a blessing. Be open to changing your plans.

And I won't go into too much detail about the vendor hall, but I knew ahead of time what the budget was and what I wanted to get from the vendors listed. If I hadn't had that in mind, I would have cried. Seriously, there were so many great vendors with awesome homeschool items and so many great curriculum, even for preschool ages, that I can only imagine how bad and expensive going in with no game plan could be. But . . .I did get to look through several items I've been looking at for our Pre-K4 and K/1st years. It was great to speak with the representatives and have my hands on the actual items. I am excited about using Saxon as our math curriculum. And I'm not a math person! So prepare yourself mentally to look but not buy the things you don't need yet or have not budgeted for this convention. Also, comfy shoes and a big bag or rolly cart for all the magazines and such are a must!

Teddys Button, Maestro Classics, Busy Homeschool mom, Well Planned Day


Here are some of the goodies I snagged! I'm not a super organized person so I've been scouting out planners for the upcoming year and I decided on the Well Planned Day. I'll be digging into that in the next few weeks to get a general outline going.

I love listening to Heidi St. John and keeping up with her Busy Mom Facebook page! I bought The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Romance for me to read, but really for Mr. J ;) The No Drama, Mama! cup was for me. I'm really working on that part of my personality.

I knew before we went I wanted to get a Maestro Classics CD for us to have for the car and to use for a fun beginning music study for this year and the lovely lady at their booth helped me pick out Carnival of the Animals! It is wonderful!We are going to have a lot of fun discussing the animals and the onomatopoeias.

We have a couple other audios from Lamplighter Theatre and they are simply wonderful. I saw the book for Teddy's Button, but when I returned Saturday, they were sold out of the book so we got the audio and listened to it on the way home. I cannot recommend their audios enough. They are so well done and engaging and sweet!

Etiquette Factory, homeschool etiquette curriculum

One program I had heard about was The Etiquette Factory. After looking over all their neat ideas, I think we will definitely be incorporating this program into our preschool and early elementary years. It really does make manners fun! And I really think manners have become underrated. This is a fun way to reinforce good manners, which makes life more pleasant for everyone! As you can see, Mr. T still has some things to learn, but he's really pretty mannerly for a 3 year old boy!

Lamplighter Theatre, Charlotte Mason, homeschool curriculum

These are just some of the other great resources I saw while I was there. Mr. T and Mr. F were enjoying lots of visiting with Mimi and Poppy. But they did do a quick trip through the vendor hall with me. Mr. T liked a lot of the robot and stuffed animal toys!


Sally Clarkson, Teach Them Diligently quote

I loved the above quote. I was so blessed by so many of the speakers, I really can't tell you all of it in just one post or it would be even longer than it already is :) But if you have the opportunity, I would certainly recommend Teach Them Diligently convention. Unlike some, it is completely Christian based and the cost is extremely affordable, especially if you register early! I gleaned so much wisdom from speakers like Ken Ham, Sally Clarkson, Rachael Carman, Heidi St. John, and so many more! I really can't wait for next year!

I'd love to hear about your Teach Them Diligently experiences or other Christian homeschool conventions you'd recommend!

Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Convention 2014

Pin It!